The Notebook Experience


The Notebook Experience

by Chel Bundalian on Wednesday, August 10, 2011 at 7:25pm

I saw an old couple's picture and I was suddenly reminded with a patient of mine... 60+ year old male patient, and his wife with him in the room. Usually just the two of them. The wife was in an advance stage of Alzheimers dse. One time, the door was left open and I saw the wife going away, alone, so I chased after her and asked her where she was going. She told me she's going to visit her husband in the hospital. I told her that she's in this hospital already and I asked her to come with me. She stopped at the door watching her husband (He was just diagnosed with cancer) She told me "Naaawa ako sa matanda, lolo ko syah" and I can see the look on her face, she was fighting her teardrops not to fall. I asked her to come in and when the husband saw her I can see the worried look on his face. The wife came closer and took his hands,

 she said "Kumusta ka na? Pagaling ka ha?" I saw the tears from the husband. Then I ran away to the bathroom because I cant help it anymore, like my heart was melting, I cried. I cried a little more when I got home I asked my self and God what will happen to them. Who will be left to take care of the lady, in case? I just prayed to God to take care of this couple. 

For some more days I saw them in the hospital, they were taking care of each other and I even saw them eat and they were sharing one spoon feeding each other. I guess this is one of the most romantic thing I have ever seen. Even up to now I can feel a lump on my throat whenever I remember them. I don't know what happened to them now, but my heart does not want to know anymore. Whenever I told this story to my friends I call it "The Notebook Experience."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuna Veggie Wrap